Cement and lime
Cement is a crucial commodity in a developing country like South Africa, both for domestic and industrial construction. The industry is forecasting growth of between 8 and 10% in the next five years due to the 2010 soccer finals, the Gautrain and other developmental projects. The challenge will be to meet the demand for rail.
There are four major cement producers in South Africa, producing in excess of 10 million tons per year. They compete in other Southern African markets, e.g. Namibia, Swaziland, Mozambique, Lesotho, Zimbabwe and Botswana and production capacity in the industry is constantly being upgraded to handle the demand for higher quality product.
Several types of wagons are employed in this industry:
- Open wagons for bulk raw materials,
- Specialised open wagons for palletised bagged cement, the DKJ series and DZ series,
- A tanker fleet, the XB series, for bulk cement, flyash, slagment and lime and
- BAD and DJ series for inbound raw materials.
Spoornet is a partner in the industry's complete supply chain, including the supply of raw material for the manufacturing process and the transport of finished product. Several commodities are involved:
- Fly ash,
- Different lime products,
- Dolomite and
- Slagment inbound and
- Bulk cement,
- Bagged cement outbound and
- Other building materials.
The following major producers in the industry are important business partners:
- Natal Portland Cement
- PPC and PPC Lime
- Idwala Industrial Holdings
- Lime distributors
- BPB Gypsum
Telephone: (011) 773-5186
Back to what we transport